Cable TV Help Topics
Here are some tips for the most common user related issues.
Digital TV Connection in Your Dorm Room
Make sure your TV is plugged in to a working electric outlet. Locate the TV outlet in your room and connect one end of the coaxial cable to it and the other end to the "CATV" or "VHF IN" on your television. Do not connect to the "UHF IN" on your television.
Your digital television must have a QAM tuner (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) to work with the school's cable service. The QAM tuner allows your TV to receive high definition cable programming without a cable set top box. Unfortunately, some less expensive TVs come with a low quality QAM tuner that may not be able to pick up all the digital channels. You should verify the specifications when you purchase your TV.
A NTSC (National Television System Committee) tuner is not compatible. This TV will require a digital-to-analog converter box to view television signals. (see information below to purchase a converter).
An ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee) tuner can receive digital signals but is not compatible with the school's cable system.
Here is an informal compatibility reference for newer devices. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information. You should verify the specifications when you purchase your TV.
Coby - Model TFTV3229 32" has a compatible QAM tuner
Dynex - Only limited models have a QAM tuner
DX-32L151A11 is NOT compatible
Element - NOT compatible
Emerson - Model LC320EM2F is NOT compatible
Model LC401EM2F is NOT compatible
Model EWL20S5B is NOT compatible
Insignia - Do not appear to have QAM tuners
Magnavox - Model P2MF23ID/37 is NOT compatible
Olevia - Model 226-T11 has a compatible QAM tuner
Samsung - All models since 2009 have a QAM tuner
Seiki - SE24FT01 is NOT compatible
SE47FY19 is NOT compatible
Sharp - 32" Aquos is NOT compatible
Sony - Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
Westinghouse - Some models do have a QAM tuner. Try activation code 14159
DWM32H1G1 is NOT compatible
DWM32H1Y1 is NOT compatible
DWM42F2G1 is NOT compatible
EWM24F1Y1 is NOT compatible
LTV-27W2 is NOT compatible
How do I program my digital TV to receive all the University channels?
If you have a digital TV not connected to a cable receiver, it is important to do a channel scan on your TV to ensure you are viewing all the available analog and digital channels. Exact details on how to auto program or auto tune digital TVs vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. These instructions are generalizations that are meant to describe the way most TVs accomplish this feature. For best results, refer to the owner’s manual for the specific TV you are working with. Most TVs will take between 20-45 minutes to complete this function.
Using the TVs remote control, follow these general steps:
Step 1: Press the “Power” button to turn on the TV
How to address common reception issues?
How do I make my analog TV work on the school’s digital cable system?
Why does my digital TV show channels with decimals or dashes?
On a digital cable television system, the “physical” channel numbers have decimals or dashes. However, some systems are designed to also provide “virtual” channel numbers (VCNs) that present the channel as a digit whole number. Unfortunately, different model digital TVs have different types of channel tuners and not all tuners can pick up the VCNs.
If you have a digital HDTV that will not recognize the whole number virtual channel after a channel scan, be sure to check the settings in the set-up menu – including setting the clock if your TV has one. If this does not work, your TV tuner is probably not capable of presenting the virtual channels and you have the following options:
Why do I only get channels up to Channel 13?
Most television sets have settings to enable reception from either an Off-Air Antenna or from Cable service. The campus cable system requires your television to be set to "Cable" (or "CATV", "CATV - IRC"). If your television is set to "Off-Air" (or "Antenna") you must change this setting to enable reception of all cable channels. This setting may be changed either by moving a switch or by following menu prompts for set-up. Refer to your owner's manual for more details. You will need to reprogram/scan your TV once you make the change.
How do I connect my computer to the CATV system?
Television signals may be viewed on your computer by using a special PC TV card. Refer to the equipment manufactures manual for installation details. Be aware that performance and quality varies according to the equipment used.
How can I record shows on TV?
To record programs you must have a recorder such as TiVo or Boxee.
How do I Program My TiVo?
Please note, TiVo does NOT have a clearQAM tuner and you can't use it to connect to the School's cable network. The reciever will be able to receive unscrambled digital cable channels only and they may show up as fractional numbers. You also will not recieve a channel guide.
The following are programming instructions for TiVo units Series 2 (single tuner), Series 3, TiVo HD DVR and Premier. Instructions may be slightly different between models.
A. Guided Setup for All Channels
1. With TiVo unit powered “on” remove the Cable Card from the TiVo unit if available;
2. Press the “TiVo” button on the remote and arrow down to the “Read New Messages and Settings” tab, highlight and press “select”;
3. Arrow down to “Restart or Reset Setup” highlight and press “select”;
4. Arrow down to “Repeat Guided Setup” highlight and press “select”;
5. You will now receive a “Warning” and must press the thumbs down button “3 times”, then the “ENTER” button (not the select button);
6. Now you will enter your five digit zip code, now press “select”;
7. Arrow down to “cable only”, highlight and press “select”;
8. You will receive a message “Cable Card”, arrow down to “continue” and press “select”;
9. Now you will set up your internet connection, choose internet or telephone (depending on your format) then press “select”;
10. Input your settings based upon your selection of the previous step;
11. “You will now connect to TIVO” press “select”;
12. After loading is complete, press “select”;
13. “Cable Provider” arrow down to your school, and press “select”;
14. “Premiums” arrow to “no” and press “select”;
15. “Your channels are now setup” press “select”;
16. “Network Connections” press select to “start”;
17. When download is complete, press “select”;
18. “Program Info Received” press “select”;
19. You will now receive a “Congratulations” message, press the “TiVo” button to resume normal function.
B. Tuning Missing Digital /HD Channels
1. Press the “TiVo” button on the remote;
2. Arrow to “Read New Messages and Settings” press “select”;
3. Arrow to “Settings” and press “select”;
4. Arrow to “Channels Select” and press “select”;
5. Arrow to “Channel Scan” and press “select”;
6. “Channel Scanning” Arrow to “Scan for Channels” and press “select”;
7. You will now receive a “warning” highlight “OK” and press “select”. (This step will take approximately 15-20 Min to complete);
8. Once completed press “select”;
9. Arrow to “Add New Channel to Channel List” press “select”;
10. Arrow to “channel List” press “select”;
11. Arrow down through the list pressing “select” on all grayed out channels turning them yellow with a check mark. Go to the bottom of the list ensuring you have checked all grayed out channels;
12. Arrow to the right to “Done” and press “select”;
13. Now press the LIVE TV button. You have finished the programming process.